Calling all gluten-free cake lovers! With banana, date and spices, and coconut oil instead of butter, this is a surprisingly healthy cake and a great treat for happy taste buds and a happy belly. Enjoy!
200g dates or date puree
3 bananas, mashed
50g coconut oil
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
250g rice flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla powder
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tbs cardamom
Optional: 30g dark chocolate (70–85%)
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl combine date puree, banana, water, eggs, coconut oil, lemon juice and lemon zest. Whisk by hand or with an electric whisk.
- Add rice flour, baking soda, vanilla, cinnamon and cardamom. Turn to mix.
- Add the chocolate and turn.
- Grease a baking tin and add the mix.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 45 minutes.
- Insert a fork into the centre to test that the cake is fully baked. When the dough doesn’t stick to the fork, the cake is ready.
Now stop dribbling on the keyboard and go make it!
About the author
|Jo Dombernowsky is the resident chef and nutrition advisor for Azul Yoga & Pilates Retreat. She runs nutrition workshops, detox retreats and special nutrition holidays and is the author of the highly acclaimed cookbook ‘Truly healthy, truly delicious’. Jo is also an inspirational Pilates teacher and her all-round healthy approach to life is clear to see!|
If you would like Jo’s recipes served straight to your inbox, simply click ‘Follow’ at the top right of this page.